• Profile

    When coverage counts, count on us!



FAQs - Frequently Asked Questions

Please click on the Frequently Asked Questions below to reveal their answers.

1. What documentation is required in order to complete an application for automobile insurance?

The following items are required in order to complete an application for automobile insurance:
  • Current registration for all vehicles to be listed on the policy
  • Drivers license for all licensed drivers in the household
  • Copy of the most recent insurance policy or liability cards for the most recent policy
  • Copy of the most recent motor vehicle inspection report

2. I am thinking of getting my oil tank replaced, where should it be placed?

Most companies have their own preference where your tank should be located. It is important that you contact your insurance broker before you have your new tank installed. Some companies will offer discounts if the tank is placed indoors, and some will apply a surcharge to your annual premium if the tank is installed outdoors.

3. What should I do if the building I own becomes vacant or unoccupied?

The first thing you should do is notify your insurance broker. Vacancy is considered a material change in the risk being insured and many companies will deny a claim or cancel a policy if they are not made aware of the situation as soon as it occurs. Many companies will allow the building to be vacant once a vacancy permit is applied and the proper premium for the change is received. However, there will be stipulations made by the company that would have to be followed if the vacancy is permitted. Always check with your broker for any changes that occur after the policy is put in force. That way your broker can ensure that your coverage is adequate. Failure to notify your broker of any changes to your policy can result in the cancellation of a policy or a claim being denied if one is presented.

4. What is an Exclusion?

An exclusion is a provision in your policy that outlines specific conditions or circumstances NOT covered by your policy. For example, your automobile policy will set out an exclusion of some coverage if you are involved in a collision while driving under the influence. Your property policy will have exclusions in relation to water damage, flood, or if your property becomes vacant. It is very important that you review all your policy documents so you are aware of the exclusions contained in your policy. That way you will know what you are or are not covered for.

5. Who else is covered to drive my vehicle?

Any driver can be covered under your policy as long as they were given your permission to drive the vehicle and they have a valid driver’s license.

But keep in mind, when you lend your vehicle you lend your insurance. If the person you loaned your vehicle to is involved in an at fault accident, the collision will go on your record.

Also remember, you are required by law to list all licensed drivers in your household on your policy, even if you do not intend to let them drive the vehicle.

6. How much personal property insurance do I need?

That is entirely up to you. The easiest was to determine how much coverage you need to purchase is to do an inventory of all the items you own. List the price it would cost to purchase them from a store. Include clothing, appliances, electronic equipment, DVD’s, CD’s and anything else you have. Add the list up and decide if that total amount would cover all your items.

7. A diamond ring that I inherited was stolen from my home. The ring was appraised at $12,000 but the adjuster told me that my policy will only pay $5,000. Why?

Most basic home insurance policies have limits for theft on items such as jewelry, watches, and furs. You can have this limit increased by insuring these items on a Personal Articles Floater. There is an additional charge for this coverage. In the event these items are stolen, you would not have to pay a deductible, plus it would include the total replacement cost. Recent appraisals are required in order to purchase this additional coverage.

8. Are the contents of my garage covered by my home insurance?

Your garage contents are considered contents of your home and are covered by your home insurance policy. The garage contents would be subject to your policy deductible. If the contents were stolen, your insurer will require a police report. IMPORTANT NOTE: motorized vehicles such as any type of vehicle, ATV’s, or snowmobiles are not considered regular contents and require a separate policy in order to be covered.  They will not be covered as contents under your home insurance policy.

9. What is a deductible?

A deductible is the dollar amount you are required to pay of the total amount of your claim. Here is how it works:

You have chosen a deductible of $500.00.  You are in the mall parking lot and back up.  You did not see the light post behind you and smack. Total cost to repair your vehicle is $3700.00. Because you have collision coverage your insurance company will cover the claim, however they will only pay $3,200 to the repair facility.  You are responsible for the first $500 of the repair. This is also how a deductible works on your home insurance policy. Your deductible amounts will always appear on the declaration page of your policy. If you are not sure what your deductibles are, contact your insurance broker.

10. I am thinking about adding another location on my business property policy. What information is required in order to have the coverage put in place?

  • You will need to know the year the building was originally constructed when the electrical, heating, plumbing, and roofing was replaced or updated
  • Type of heating, plumbing & electrical
  • Total square footage and number of stories
  • Type of construction of the building and roof
  • Type of occupancy, as well as any hazardous materials or activities
  • What type of equipment will be stored there
  • Replacement value of the building
  • Is there a leinholder or mortgage
  • Is there a burglary protection system in place
  • Fire protection (how close to fire hall, hydrants, etc)
  • Is the building sprinklered

Services We Provide...